2) Could your vehicle use a trip to the car wash this weekend?
Link up here if you're playing along today!
Link up here if you're playing along today! And check me out, on time for once!
What's up, guys? I haven't posted this week because our innernet connection sucks big time, and I'm STILL trying to find a service provider for our area, which is not awesome. I'm sitting at McDonald's to boost off their free wi-fi at the mo', and I plan to do a buncha posts back-to-back while I'm here. Check 'em out, will ya? And for the love, please comment if ya read 'em. All week I've gotten tons of spam comments, and it's getting wearisome. Spanx! ;)
Link up here if you played along today!
1. Are you impatient?
Heh. You could say that. It's probably my most salient personality trait, at least on the negative side, I'm afraid.
2. Do you believe some people have a gift for predicting the future?
I don't know. I really don't. I have done it myself, through dreams, but I can't conjure up the ability to do it whenever I want and have never met anyone who could.
3. The microwave is a great invention for those who don't want to wait. What's the last thing you prepared in yours?
Since we're living in a hotel in South Miami until we find our new digs, we're using it an awful lot right now. I think the last thing I heated up was a microwave meal from Barilla.
4. This was the theme of the TV show Dawson's Creek. Michelle Williams, a costar on the show, went on to earn multiple Oscar nominations. Name
another performer who started out on TV and then became a movie star.
Tom Hanks came to mind first. Love him - and Michelle, for that matter!
5. What's the last bit of advice you received?
Unsolicited: Not to move to Miami - haha, obviously we didn't listen! So far we've seen a cop chase a guy down on foot and draw his gun on him, among other things.
6. What's the last advice you gave?
Solicited: I advised a new mom not to supplement her breastmilk with formula. She didn't listen, either, and now she's having trouble with her supply. :(
7. Easter is considered the season of rebirth. What leaves you feeling refreshed or rejuvenated?
A good nap, or a trip to the beach. I had the former today and hope to experience the latter pretty soon!
8. Easter is also recognized as the start of the spring season. What are you looking forward to this spring?
Before our move to Florida, that was it. Now that we're living in a hotel, I'm really looking forward to finding a place to live!
9. Which would you rather find in your Easter basket: yellow marshmallow chicks (aka Peeps) or a chocolate bunny?
Peeps are so gross. Chocolate for me, please!
That's it for S9 - be back soon with Sunday Stealing! ;)
So I've been quite unwell for a week and change now and am still not all put back together yet, but I'm sick of languishing in bed as if I didn't have a billion trillion jillion things to do... Here are this week's and last week's Saturday 9 entries, for your edification and (hopefully) amusement!
1. Do you owe anyone a phone call?
Heh. Yeah. About two dozen people have left me voicemails while I've been unwell, and I've pretty much not called or spoken on the phone the whole time. I think my dad is probably wondering if I'm still alive...!
2. Do you still have a landline phone?
Landline?! Gosh, no, those are so 20th century!
3. When was the last time you looked up a number in the phone book?
Phone book?! See above answer. It kind of pisses me off that those things still land on my porch! What a waste.
4. Do you receive more calls or texts?
About an equal number of each. Since I spent a fair amount of time dodging callers and hiding away from the world, either literally or figuratively, I much prefer texts.
5. Carly Rae made the Final 3 on Canadian Idol. Can you name another Canuckian import?
Isn't her mentor, the Biebs, Canadian, too? I can think of lots, but Martin Short springs to mind first. I don't know why, really, since I can't stand that small buffoon...
6. Sam grew sick of this song by hearing it too often on the radio. Where do you listen to the radio most often? Car? Work? Somewhere else?
Up until the last fortnight, when the sound suddenly stopped working on this'ere piece of crap computer, I mostly listened to it here, online. Now I'm sitting here listening to it play on my iPhone. I would say Penelope (my Honda Odyssey), but when the kids are with me (which is all the time), I usually open the DVD player in the back and let them hear the movie audio. We have headphones, but only two sets, and with three kids, that doesn't really work. We've been planning on getting a third set for about as long as we've had Penny. Procrastinate much?!
7. Mother Winters can work wonders with an iron and a can of spray starch. Every blouse and shirt she presses looks good as new. Is there a domestic chore at which you excel?
I can clean with the best of 'em - when I do clean. My standards have been reduced drastically by living with a sloppy husband and three equally sloppy offspring! Drives me nuts. I'm on a mission to change that when we move to Miami in mid-March, and I have a plan that I've already shared with the afore-mentioned slobbos. We will not live like piggies in the next place, dammitalltohellandback!
8. Do you consider yourself competitive?
Heck yeah. That just reminded me, in Calculus, as a high school senior, Mamati (our class valedictorian) and I were always neck-and-neck with grades. His average was probably something like 99.9997 and mine was probably a few thousandths lower... he signed my yearbook that spring with something about that! Turd.
9. Tell us your superhero name - as determined by the color of your shirt and an item to your right. For example, Crazy Sam now fights crime as the Light Blue Coffee Mug!
Well, then, I'm the Purple Coupon, conquering sales wherever I may roam!
1. Do you have a favorite "hair metal" band?
Well, I love Def Leppard and this song, but I gotta give it to Bon Jovi. Come on. Jon Bon Jovi? Fine in the '80s, and still fine two (what, three??) decades later. Killin' me!
2. Def Leppard got their start in South Yorkshire, England. Have you ever been to the UK?
Not yet, but I will get there one day. I'm part English, by the by.
3. Who would you rather chat with, one-on-one: Prince Philip, Prince Charles, Prince William, or Prince Harry?
Well, the boys are so damn hot, and I have an affinity for them as someone who also lost a mother at a very young age, tragically and suddenly. (My mom was blonde and blue-eyed, too, which seemed to matter to me at the time Diana died.) I have always thought William was gorgeous, but Harry has really come into his own - plus he's a spitfire! I choose Harry. We'd go be outrageous together, I think.
4. Do you use real sugar or a substitute?
Oh, I can't have much real sugar anymore, since my gastric bypass surgery. So it's Splenda, or Nectressé, or lately, organic agave for me...
5. Valentine's Day is big for candy sales. Did you indulge in any Valentine-themed sugary treats this week?
Not really, 'cause I can't, like I said. Oh, I ate some chocolate, but then I puked it up (sorry for the overshare). We had a homeschoolers' V-day party the day after, and we hit the sales that morning. Woot for 75% off!
6. Do you regularly balance your checkbook?
If by that, you mean, do I log into the app for our bank on my iPhone and check the balance, sure. I haven't balanced a physical, hold-it-in-your-hand checkbook for a couple-three years now. Prolly should...
7. What was your last impulse purchase?
Hmm. I'm a big planner when it comes to moolah, by necessity, so probably the biggest thing to which I can admit lately is some "extra" clearance V-day candy for my oldest girl-child to give to her little beau at the party I mentioned. Hee, they're so cute.
8. When Sam was a girl, she had nightmares about snakes under her bed. When did you last have a bad dream?
I have them all the time. Last night, I was tortured by images of... eh. I don't want to conjure them back up. It wasn't pleasant, though.
9. We're ordering pizza. Do you want deep dish or thin crust?
It depends where we are. If we're in NYC, definitely the floppy, gotta-fold-it-in-half thin crust. Anywhere else, that shit is cardboard, so it's deep dish FTW!
Have a lovely, y'all!
Yeah, I'm a sucky, neglectful blogger. I thought December was a busy month - February is just cray-cray! So my promises to be a more prolific poster here have gone by the wayside in lieu of Living. I will catch up soon. Um, I promise?
Here is this weekend's Saturday 9: The Way We Were.
1. In honor of Valentine's Day, what's the most romantic movie you can think of?
Hmm. It's pretty cliché for my generation, but c'mon, what beats The Notebook??
2. The Way We Were was a tearjerker. Do you think most real-life love stories end in heartbreak? Or do you believe in happily ever after?
Heh. Well, the side of my Odyssey has a cutesy family decal of us and four of our six cats, and arcing over that are the words, "Happily Ever After," so that answers that question!
3. What's your favorite love song?
It's obviously not a romantic love song, since Eric Clapton wrote it for his son who passed away, but even before my own son died and we played it at his memorial service, "Tears in Heaven" moved me beyond words. What greater love is there than the one a parent has for his child?
4. In 1993, Barbra Streisand married actor James Brolin, who first became famous as Dr. Steven Kiley on Marcus Welby, MD. Who is your favorite TV doctor?
Dr. Carter, played by Noah Wyle on E.R. And the fact that he was cute as a button was just a bonus!
5. In 2012, Streisand renewed her contract with Columbia, where's she's been recording since 1963. So she's been with the same label for fifty years! Where have you worked the longest, and how long was that?
Y'mean besides Casa de Odette, where I've been HMFIC for the past 12 years? I guess that would have to be the Law Offices of JMB in St. Pete, Florida, where I was a legal secretary on-and-off for 2½ years, throughout grad school. Yeah. My résumé rocks.
6. Sam Winters once worked as a hostess in a chic bistro in Worcester, PA. That's why she frequently gets frustrated by bad service in restaurants -- she's certain she could make it run more smoothly. Where do you find yourself getting annoyed most often?
Welp, similarly, I worked in grocery retail for ages. Wait, I guess that would be my longest job, but whatevs. Anyway, I quickly moved up to the customer service desk and then ran the front-end of a large grocery store chain location, so I know what it takes to provide good customer service - and when I don't get it, I get pissed - pissed!!
7. Have you ever taken a polygraph test?
LOL... No. And that's the truth!
8. Crunchy, smooth, or organic peanut butter?
Since when is "organic" a texture? Pffft. Organic smooth for me, please, so it doesn't tear up my bread!
9. Describe your favorite sweater.
Hand-knit by me, the most glorious shade of sea blue-green, delightfully textured, perfectly fitted to my body - and as-yet imaginary. I haven't had the time yet to make it!
And now for a little something different:
Link up here if you're playing along today!
21. Would you swear in front of your parents?
I actually try not to, because I feel weird about it and don't like my dad's "tsk, tsk," but I have on occasion. Last month, I actually cussed my dad out - but in all fairness, he totally deserved that shit. Oops, there I go again.
22. Which continents have you been on?
North America, South America, Asia (if Guam counts as Asia?), and Europe. It's not enough, though I woudn't be disappointed if I missed Antarctica...
23. Do you get motion sickness? Any horror stories?
I've spent a lot of time at sea and usually have no problems whatsoever with motion sickness there or anywhere else - except once. We were in the middle of a research trip in the Dry Tortugas, and there was a huge storm producing 10' swells. Our little 80' research vessel was tipping all the way over on its side, back and forth, back and forth. I didn't puke, but I came damn close. I was one of the few who didn't.
24. Why did you name your blog whatever you named it?
Because I'd already had a blog, on some obscure website - oh yeah, it's called MySpace - but I recognized that site as doomed before it really was doomed. I started it up again here, in a much different and more public way. I like this version better.
25. Would you wear a rainbow jacket? A neon sweater? Checkered pants?
That actually sounds like my perfect outfit! I'd wear it all at once. Which I am not, because right now I am sitting here in nothing but yellow-and-green striped knee socks. And that's a fact, Jack.
26. What was your favorite cartoon growing up? Post a picture if you can.
I can't. Google Images refuses to load for me right now. Bastages! I used to love The Far Side, and Calvin and Hobbes. I have a Far Side book where the entire alphabetical index is blank, except for the letter 'T' - all the cartoons are listed under "The One about..." this and that. I love it; it cracks me up. And that was way before Friends stole the idea, folks!
27. In a past life, I must have been a...
Sloth, because truthfully, I am really freakin' lazy. No one believes that, because I actually do accomplish quite a bit, but I am. I could sit on my ass and watch the world go by for days on end. And servants - I would love to have lots and lots of servants. (Well, I do - my kids are my minions. They do not love that.)
28. If you had to look at one city skyline for the rest of your life, which would it be?
I could not do that. Mine is a nomadic soul. I'd go nuts. Well, nuttier.
29. Longest plane ride you've ever been on?
We flew from Florida to Los Angeles to Honolulu to Guam, pretty much straight through, in 2002. And then straight back, except here to Virginia, four months later. With a toddler. And I was pregnant with twins. Talk about awesome. (Actually, it wasn't too bad. Thank God Chloë was a ridiculously easy baby by that age!)
30. What's the longest you've ever slept?
I think it was my very recent 22-hour nap, during an illness. Pretty unusual for me.
31. Would you buy a sweater covered in kitten pictures? Would you wear it if someone gave it to you for free?
Hell-to-the-no, but if they handmade it, I might. If it was well-made and comfy. But gosh, really? So not my style.
32. Do you pluck your eyebrows?
Hell yeah! Those things would otherwise run amok all over my loverly face. I didn't start until I was 25 and a mom, though. What was I thinking? People compliment me on my eyebrows at least 2-3 times a year. I'll keep plucking 'til I'm dead or too senile to care.
33. What's your favorite kind of bean?
Garbanzo! As in, chickpeas. As in, hummus - yummus!
34. How far can you throw a baseball?
Oh, at least a good three feet. I am SUCH a wimp!!
35. If you had to move to another country, where would you move?
I hear St. Baart's is nice, but we're not wealthy enough, and Canada is too cold, so... I don't know. Anywhere Rob went, I'd follow.
36. Have you ever eaten Ethiopian food? Vietnamese? Korean? Nepalese? How was it?
No. Yes. Yes. No. Good. How's that for concise?
37. How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a ... no. I hate this question too much to even finish typing it out!
Y'all go out and have a kick-ass week, m'kay?
Click here to check out some other fun peeps' answers this week!
Here are mine, dudes:
1. Do noisy storms scare you?
See that? Now that's a storm - aka Supertyphoon Pongson'a, the worst typhoon to hit Guam on record, when we were there in December of 2002. And I've been through countless hurricanes. So no, a little thunder doesn't make me duck and hide.
2. Whom do you consider one of today's most beautiful women?
Gotta toot my own horn a little bit here, because that's ME, and today is my fourth surgiversary! So today, I'm celebrating THIS beautiful woman sitting in my seat, thanky kindly! (Just don't look at my tired eyes and big, red, runny nose. I haz a code.)
3. What should you be doing, instead of answering Crazy Sam's questions?
Cleaning. Cleaning, cleaning, cleaning. What the hell else is new?
4. What's the most recent addition to your spam folder?
Years ago, back in my college daze, they got to me. I think I'm still on the hook for a big, honkin' cassette tape rack. Remember those? Yeah, me neither.
5. What was the last thing you cooked?
I made four people! Four people lived in me! And you want me to cook, too? What's next, buying the food now???
6. Do you remember the lyrics to either your high school or your college fight song? Share.
Once upon a time, I did know it, though. Garsh, that was over 15 years ago now. Holy sheet.
7. What is the derivation and meaning of your first name?
Seriously, if one of you ever calls me "Melantha," I will punch you in the eyeballs. Yep, both of 'em.
8. Which team are you rooting for in the NBA or NHL this year?
No. Just, no.
9. Gloves, umbrellas, sunglasses, keys - which do you misplace the most?
I don't lose any of those things. Ever. No, fo' realz, I put them in exactly the same place every time, and the only time I can't find them is when a certain Mister Someone ELSE uses them. *ahem*
Happy weekend, folks!
Link up here if you're playing along this weekend!
1. Has anyone ever told you that you resemble a celebrity?
Yes. That's me, right now, and that:
is Molly Ringwald, who I've heard a thousand times is the one I look like. When I have hair, and makeup on, I can see it, but right now I'm not so sure.
2. Is there an actor or actress whose movies you make it a point to see?
While I certainly haven't seen all their movies, Tom Hanks and Parker Posey are two of my favorites, and I will make it a special point to see their flicks if I get a chance!
3. We're stopping for refreshments before we go in to see the movie. What do you order?
I will order the biggest Diet Coke available, and if I must get something to eat, a hot pretzel with cheese - but only if the cheese is not at all spicy. I do not DO spicy!
4. When did you last consume an alcoholic beverage? What was it?
It was either a glass of red wine from a bottle the co-DJ of my morning radio show recommended to me at an event we both recently attended (and the partner of one of the Ringwald insistors from #1, with whom I no longer speak...), which I did NOT like, or a Mai Tai. I can't remember which was more recent, since it's been so long. I rarely drink, and never much when I do, anymore. Once upon a time, in high school on the weekends, I was quite the lush!
5. Are you jumpy? Do you startle easily?
Do you remember that episode of Friends in which Ross promoted the concept of "unagi," that is, (paraphrasing) the ability to stay calm and not be startled when surprised? I always joke that I possess that, and the joke is, I SOOO don't! Don't ever put a gun in my hands; I'd probably have quite the itchy trigger finger!
6. Do you wear a watch?
Almost never, except when I'm SCUBA diving, and then I wear one like the one above, there. But I haven't dove in over 10 years, sad to say. (I will be changing that come this Spring, when we move back to Miami, my original diving stomping grounds and where I got certified in the first place!)
In college, I suddenly became allergic to all my jewelry, and my wristwatch was the worst offender. I can rarely wear a watch since then, without breaking out in an extremely uncomfortable rash that takes forever to be rid of. So, I typically just use my iPhone when I need a watch. It works.
7. When was the last time you tried a new restaurant?
Hmm. I think it was this past summer, for a date night with Hubs. I rode on the back of his motorcyle, and we went to a new Thai restaurant. Fun times! I love that guy; can't wait to have him all the time in a month! ♥
8. What color is your wallet?
I don't really carry one, though I do have several, including a burnt orange one that was my mother's when she died. Instead, I carry a Cross-Body "satchel," as we've taken to calling it, that I bought from my friend and Thirty-One Consultant, Debbie. It's similar to the one above, but not quite the same; I don't see mine anymore. Mine's dark brown, but since I wear a lot of black, I need to get one in that color, too!
9. How much does your wallet have in coins right now?
I had to laugh at myself counting out change at 0415 on a Saturday morning for the sake of a blahg post! It came to $1.05, with only that last 5¢ being pennies, so not a whole lot right now. The Cross-Body doesn't like a lot of bulky change, after all, so I try to pare it down when I can.
That's it for this post!
Link up here if ... you want. It won't hurt, I swear.
Here's your link, in case you haven't been around for the past however long I've been doing this meme!
1) It's a brand new year! Do you have any resolutions for 2013?
2) Dusty Springfield sang of feeling "brand new." What leaves you feeling refreshed and/or rejuvenated?
3) Dusty's given name was Mary Catherine. If you could give yourself a brand new first name, what would it be?
4) Actor Billy Bob Thornton has dismissed antiques, saying, "I'm creeped out by old stuff." Do you ever shop at estate sales, yard sales or second-hand stores? Or do you want everything brand new?
5) Are you sad to see the holiday decorations slowly disappear until next year? Or do you think they should come down on January 2?
7) Crazy Sam shudders at the very thought of a snake. Which is your least favorite member of the Animal Kingdom?
8) What's the most recent magazine you flipped through?
Of course, if I'm going to play catch-up from the last several weeks, it's easiest to start via meme, and that's just what I'm going to do. ;) Linkage is here if you are also late to the party or want to check out some other players.