Yeah, I'm a sucky, neglectful blogger. I thought December was a busy month - February is just cray-cray! So my promises to be a more prolific poster here have gone by the wayside in lieu of Living. I will catch up soon. Um, I promise?
Here is this weekend's Saturday 9: The Way We Were.
1. In honor of Valentine's Day, what's the most romantic movie you can think of?
Hmm. It's pretty cliché for my generation, but c'mon, what beats The Notebook??
2. The Way We Were was a tearjerker. Do you think most real-life love stories end in heartbreak? Or do you believe in happily ever after?
Heh. Well, the side of my Odyssey has a cutesy family decal of us and four of our six cats, and arcing over that are the words, "Happily Ever After," so that answers that question!
3. What's your favorite love song?
It's obviously not a romantic love song, since Eric Clapton wrote it for his son who passed away, but even before my own son died and we played it at his memorial service, "Tears in Heaven" moved me beyond words. What greater love is there than the one a parent has for his child?
4. In 1993, Barbra Streisand married actor James Brolin, who first became famous as Dr. Steven Kiley on Marcus Welby, MD. Who is your favorite TV doctor?
Dr. Carter, played by Noah Wyle on E.R. And the fact that he was cute as a button was just a bonus!
5. In 2012, Streisand renewed her contract with Columbia, where's she's been recording since 1963. So she's been with the same label for fifty years! Where have you worked the longest, and how long was that?
Y'mean besides Casa de Odette, where I've been HMFIC for the past 12 years? I guess that would have to be the Law Offices of JMB in St. Pete, Florida, where I was a legal secretary on-and-off for 2½ years, throughout grad school. Yeah. My résumé rocks.
6. Sam Winters once worked as a hostess in a chic bistro in Worcester, PA. That's why she frequently gets frustrated by bad service in restaurants -- she's certain she could make it run more smoothly. Where do you find yourself getting annoyed most often?
Welp, similarly, I worked in grocery retail for ages. Wait, I guess that would be my longest job, but whatevs. Anyway, I quickly moved up to the customer service desk and then ran the front-end of a large grocery store chain location, so I know what it takes to provide good customer service - and when I don't get it, I get pissed - pissed!!
7. Have you ever taken a polygraph test?
LOL... No. And that's the truth!
8. Crunchy, smooth, or organic peanut butter?
Since when is "organic" a texture? Pffft. Organic smooth for me, please, so it doesn't tear up my bread!
9. Describe your favorite sweater.
Hand-knit by me, the most glorious shade of sea blue-green, delightfully textured, perfectly fitted to my body - and as-yet imaginary. I haven't had the time yet to make it!
And now for a little something different:
Link up here if you're playing along today!
21. Would you swear in front of your parents?
I actually try not to, because I feel weird about it and don't like my dad's "tsk, tsk," but I have on occasion. Last month, I actually cussed my dad out - but in all fairness, he totally deserved that shit. Oops, there I go again.
22. Which continents have you been on?
North America, South America, Asia (if Guam counts as Asia?), and Europe. It's not enough, though I woudn't be disappointed if I missed Antarctica...
23. Do you get motion sickness? Any horror stories?
I've spent a lot of time at sea and usually have no problems whatsoever with motion sickness there or anywhere else - except once. We were in the middle of a research trip in the Dry Tortugas, and there was a huge storm producing 10' swells. Our little 80' research vessel was tipping all the way over on its side, back and forth, back and forth. I didn't puke, but I came damn close. I was one of the few who didn't.
24. Why did you name your blog whatever you named it?
Because I'd already had a blog, on some obscure website - oh yeah, it's called MySpace - but I recognized that site as doomed before it really was doomed. I started it up again here, in a much different and more public way. I like this version better.
25. Would you wear a rainbow jacket? A neon sweater? Checkered pants?
That actually sounds like my perfect outfit! I'd wear it all at once. Which I am not, because right now I am sitting here in nothing but yellow-and-green striped knee socks. And that's a fact, Jack.
26. What was your favorite cartoon growing up? Post a picture if you can.
I can't. Google Images refuses to load for me right now. Bastages! I used to love The Far Side, and Calvin and Hobbes. I have a Far Side book where the entire alphabetical index is blank, except for the letter 'T' - all the cartoons are listed under "The One about..." this and that. I love it; it cracks me up. And that was way before Friends stole the idea, folks!
27. In a past life, I must have been a...
Sloth, because truthfully, I am really freakin' lazy. No one believes that, because I actually do accomplish quite a bit, but I am. I could sit on my ass and watch the world go by for days on end. And servants - I would love to have lots and lots of servants. (Well, I do - my kids are my minions. They do not love that.)
28. If you had to look at one city skyline for the rest of your life, which would it be?
I could not do that. Mine is a nomadic soul. I'd go nuts. Well, nuttier.
29. Longest plane ride you've ever been on?
We flew from Florida to Los Angeles to Honolulu to Guam, pretty much straight through, in 2002. And then straight back, except here to Virginia, four months later. With a toddler. And I was pregnant with twins. Talk about awesome. (Actually, it wasn't too bad. Thank God Chloë was a ridiculously easy baby by that age!)
30. What's the longest you've ever slept?
I think it was my very recent 22-hour nap, during an illness. Pretty unusual for me.
31. Would you buy a sweater covered in kitten pictures? Would you wear it if someone gave it to you for free?
Hell-to-the-no, but if they handmade it, I might. If it was well-made and comfy. But gosh, really? So not my style.
32. Do you pluck your eyebrows?
Hell yeah! Those things would otherwise run amok all over my loverly face. I didn't start until I was 25 and a mom, though. What was I thinking? People compliment me on my eyebrows at least 2-3 times a year. I'll keep plucking 'til I'm dead or too senile to care.
33. What's your favorite kind of bean?
Garbanzo! As in, chickpeas. As in, hummus - yummus!
34. How far can you throw a baseball?
Oh, at least a good three feet. I am SUCH a wimp!!
35. If you had to move to another country, where would you move?
I hear St. Baart's is nice, but we're not wealthy enough, and Canada is too cold, so... I don't know. Anywhere Rob went, I'd follow.
36. Have you ever eaten Ethiopian food? Vietnamese? Korean? Nepalese? How was it?
No. Yes. Yes. No. Good. How's that for concise?
37. How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a ... no. I hate this question too much to even finish typing it out!
Y'all go out and have a kick-ass week, m'kay?