Link up here if you're playing along today!
1) Black is this week's signature color because Friday, November 29, was "Black Friday," when retailers cut their prices and consumers flock to the stores. Did you score any "Black Friday" bargains?
Well, I'm not really much of a Black Friday shopper. I'm actually traditionally one of the poo-poo-ers about Black Friday shopping. But, yes, I did. I got some things online, which IMO is different than slogging through the crowds and risking potential death to save a few bucks, and I got some things at the drug stores, which IMO is also different than, say, going to Walmart or Target or Best Buy or WHEREVER. I had to go anyway, and it just happened to be on Black Friday. You know what I mean? Also, the really good deals that I got were several free $30 toys, and I immediately put those in the Toys For Tots bin. My kids don't need more, after all.
2) Legend has it that Black Friday began as a neighborhood phenomenon among storeowners in Philadelphia back in the early 1960s. What else comes to mind when you think of Philly?
Hot pretzels from vendors on the streets. Cheesesteak sandwiches. The Liberty bell. Traffic and tollbooths. LOL! I may have been there a few times... ;)
3) Feasting and football are also popular Thanksgiving weekend pastimes. Do your Thursday-Sunday plans include pigging out or watching a game?
Nope, but maybe because I'm entirely incapable of doing either. Our one television set is hardly even plugged in, let alone a receiver for anything televisual, and my small gastric bypass-created pouch doesn't allow for any such empiggerating. Otherwise, I would probably partake in both!
4) At Thanksgiving dinners, Crazy Sam's homemade gravy is always a hit. (Probably because she's so generous with the cognac, which gives the gravy a nutty taste.) Do you have a signature dish?
I'm not really well-known for my Thanksgiving dishes - I make Stove Top stuffing from a box, for Pete's sake, and I open a can or two of corn. It's a good thing, though, because this year I was not well enough to do even that, and Rob had to make the entire dinner himself if we were going to have a bounty. And he did, and we did, and I was thankful.
5) Among the biggest the Black Friday advertisers are Target, Kohl's, Macy's and Best Buy. If you could have a $100 gift card to any one of those stores, which would you choose?
I'd have to go with Target, which I adore, or Kohl's, which is right down the road. I loathe Best Buy, and there's no Macy's anywhere that I know of here. There's always online shopping, I guess...
6) You're in a public restroom that offers both paper towels and a hot air hand dryer. Which one do you choose?
I'd choose the hot air. Less waste to throw back into the world, and I can stand there - and do - long enough that my hands get completely, thoroughly dry. And then I'll be wishing for my hand lotion, which is probably in the car.
There are so many people who do, I'm hard-pressed to pick just one. I can't even think of anyone specifically, but anyone who overcomes great odds and does something wonderful despite their given circumstances inspires me the most. I'm also inspired by people who are wonderful, kind and loving parents to their children, whether they have one or ten of them.
8) Do you consider yourself a pessimist or an optimist?
I'm an idealist, which goes hand-in-hand with being an optimist. It's rare for me to be cynical or pessimistic. I'm not much of a realist, either. I do admit to wearing the rose-colored glasses perhaps more then I ought to. I like to see the world for the beauty that is and could be, and not for the ugly that co-exists with it.
9) Who was the last person you spoke to on the phone (a verbal conversation -- not an exchange of texts)?
I talked to my father for 46 minutes on Wednesday, which is the last time I reached or was reached by phone. My sister apparently called while I was napping on Thanksgiving Day, and I didn't get the message until the following day, because my iPhone has that one peculiar fault. Felt bad, I did, and I haven't had a chance to call her back yet. Perhaps today.
Well, that's it for another Saturday. I missed last week, but I vow to be a better blogger in the days and weeks to come! Cheers, y'all.