There are three hours left in my Sunday, so I'm not toooo late this time, right? Link is here if you're playing along today!
The 20Q Meme
1. When you buy a greetings card are the words or the picture more important to you?
Both are important to me, if they're both present, but sometimes the words are insufficient. I make my own cards, though, so I rarely purchase ready-made ones.
2. What's your favorite kind of cake?
I don't like cake at all. Unless we're talking about ice cream cake, which I can no longer physically tolerate, thanks to gastric bypass surgery. Don't be sad for me, though: I had plenty of fun to get myself to that point! ;)
3. Do you ever make gifts for people, if so what, or do you buy them?
I make handmade gifts whenever possible, and I love to buy on Etsy, too... but when I know that will not be appreciated, I'll buy what will be. For instance, my son is all about LEGO, and nothing I can make by hand will win him over nearly as much.
4. You are chosen to have lunch with the President. The condition is you only get to ask one question. What do you ask?
I would ask why he let us down on the issues that are important to me, and should be important to everyone else, too: WHY have you let us down, re: the environment?!
I can delete SPAM, but I can't stand the never-ending pop-ups. I'm thankful they're mostly disabled!
6. What was the best party you've ever been to?
That's not her, but probably my best friend, Dr. Lisa, and her groom, Faris' wedding in 2002. If you've never been invited to an Arabic wedding, it's awesome. I was a bridesmaid; she taught me to bellydance, and I did okay (though I was a new, nursing mom to Chloë and of course did NOT bare my belly). It was a total blast. I'll never forget it.
7. Which is worse, being in a place that is too loud, or too quiet?
My father was always shushing us children. I like it loud. I like it quiet, when necessary. But I can't handle too quiet when noise is needed. I'm the type that giggles inappropriately, speaking of cats. No, I would much prefer too loud over too quiet.
8. You are offered an envelope that you know contains $50. You are then told that you may either keep it or exchange it for another envelope that may contain $500 or may be empty. Do you keep the first envelope, or do you take your chances with the second?
At first, I thought, well, 50/50 are not great odds. But then I remembered that I am a risk-taker, for one, and for another, I had nothing before I had that first envelope. If I take the chance and end up with an empty envelope, in the end I'm exactly where I started and had some fun in the process. I'll take my chances.
9. Do you wish cellphone etiquette was a required class upon purchasing one?
Nah, but I reserve the right to shoot annoyed looks at people who talk too loud on their cellies in restaurants, m'kay?
10. What's the most messed up food combination that you've had that was actually good?
For our son Jack's 1st birthday, a decade ago, I wanted to have interesting and unusual ice cream flavors. We had cheese ice cream, which SUCKED. Don't eat it. But the mung bean ice cream was really pretty good. I'm not rushing out to find it anytime soon, though.
11. What's one of your most random pet peeves (something that annoys you)?
When I'm behind someone who literally STOPS to make their right-hand turn, or practically does so, I could go crazy in that seeming five minutes. OMG, just TURN ALREADY!!
12. When is the last time you had home cooking?
The title of this book amuses me, when paired with the author's name... not exactly Latina-sounding, eh? Anyway, I'm the cookerator in this family, now that Rob really can't, and I cook on a regular basis. On Thursday or Friday night, we had Cuban food: red beans and rice, and fish marinated in Mojo Criollo. Was delish, and every bite got eaten!
13. If you could be a fictional character from a book who would you choose?
I loooove Anne!
14. If you could be in a television sit-com, which would you choose?
I would choose to be a kid The Cosby Show, because the parents were intelligent, funny, and loving... what more do you need?
15. If you could be any animal or creature for one day, what would it be?
I would be a fast and powerful mako shark, a rare one with a homocercal tail instead of heterocercal, though that has little to do with my choice. This shark knows what it wants, goes after it, and gets it almost every time; plus, it's strikingly beautiful.
16. What's your favorite girl's name?
All three of my living children's names are on this list. Suckage! Anyway, my girls' names are my favorites: Sophia Lorelei and Chloë Raine. I love them!
17. What's your favorite boy's name?
We didn't name our son after this eponymous location: Jack River, but I love his name the best. When I was in high school, my boyfriend Ben and I planned to name our son Steven Tyler. Had nothing to do with Aerosmith; we just liked the name. I still do.
18. What's your supermarket of choice?
I love shopping at Whole Foods. If I had my druthers, I would always buy organic, local, earth-friendly foods for myself and my family. However, it's sad and disappointing that our budget doesn't align with my ideals, and I can rarely do that. So there's always Publix, which is good enough. Sometimes, good enough is good enough, right?
19. If you were to attend a costume party tonight, what or whom would you go as?
This is fun. I've actually never been to a costume party, but I would love to go to one. I don't know, but I would hope to be wearing one of at least two coordinating outfits!
20. What is your concession stand must-have at the movies?
A hot pretzel, with non-spicy cheese, for me, sil vous plait!