Link up here if you're playing along this week!
Saturday 9: Battle Hymn of the Republic
(From the archives)
Memorial Day was introduced to honor the men and women who died while serving the in the United States Armed Forces. We want to make sure that message is not forgotten this weekend.
1) This recording was made live at St. Patrick's Cathedral, during Senator Robert F. Kennedy's funeral. (Hear it here.) While both of Bobby's older brothers were decorated war heroes, he served too - enlisting in the Navy in 1943. Are you a veteran? Are there veterans in your family? (We are grateful and want to hear about it.)
This is then-AN Robert Odette, now retired PR1 Odette, in his first year in the United States Navy 22 years ago. I'm super-proud of the guy I married, not only for his epic contributions to our family, but for his service to our country. Thankfully, he is not being memorialized this weekend, as he's sitting behind me eating some potato chips!
Additionally, my grandfather served in the Navy in WWII. Several other family members on both sides of the marital bond are Navy vets, and my dad was a Coastie. I have not personally served.
2) Memorial Day also kicks off the summer season. What's your favorite picnic food?
Hmm. Pre-vegetarianism, I would have had to say Fried Chicken! Post-veg, I'll say potato salad. I like the red, skin-on kind best.
3) Name a scent that reminds you of someone special in your life.
This is what my Grandpa wore. The scent of it brings me back to the their condo in New Jersey in the 80s. Ahhh... those were the days.
4) When was the last time you had your hair cut or trimmed?
I trimmed my own bangs this past week (shhh! don't tell my stylist sister), but about a week ago or three, I had it professionally cut.
5) Crazy Sam runs on Dunkin'. Are you loyal to a particular brand of coffee?
At home, I'll brew whatever K-cups I can get a good deal on - except Seattle's Best, because I'm NOT a fan - but if I got out for coffee, it's gonna be Starbucks. Yep. I don't go but once or twice a month, but when I do, it's gonna be a Java Chip Frappuccino Light, no whip, with coconut milk. Mmm-mmm, delish!
6) If money was no object, what home improvement would you like to make this summer?
Buying one. Here in Miami. Specifically, since money is no object, I'd like one with 4+ bedrooms, 2½+ bathrooms, a large decked-out kitchen, and a sizable in-ground pool in the fenced-in backyard. With room on the patio for an immense grill, picnic table and benches, and lounge chairs. I'm not dreaming, much.
7) What was the last thing you bought purely for your own enjoyment?
Since you asked, a cherry red Victoria's Secret push-up bra, for my sad little ladies. ;) I'd show you a picture, but (a) I'm not brave enough to post a selfie of that and (b) I'm not secure enough to look at the models wearing it for longer than it takes to order it. Ha!
8) When was the last time you rode a bike?
Too long. My bike is sitting, locked up, on the front patio, waiting for me to hop aboard. I'm waiting for Hubs to install the basket on it, so I can look adorable while I'm tooling around, running errands. What?
9) Sam worries that many of her song selections reflect her decidedly Baby Boomer sensibilities. Is there a song or a performer that you'd like to see featured in a Saturday 9 this summer?
Oh, yes, lots of suggestions come to mind. I'm crushing right now on Björk's "I Miss You," Brandon Flowers' new album, and anything by Nickel Creek. Check it out!
Thanks for stopping by!