Link up here if you're playing along this weekend!
Saturday 9: American Pie (1971) ... because Country Dew suggested it
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
1) In the lyrics, Don McLean refers to having once been a paper boy. When you were a kid, what job or household chores did you do for spending money?
I started babysitting when I was about 12 or so. Before that, I cleaned the house for money. After that, I was required to clean the house for free. Eh.
2) Them good old boys were drinking whiskey and rye. What's the last drink you ordered?
The last two back-to-back alcoholic drinks I had were a Buttery Nipple shot and then a big ol' cup of Pirate's Punch at Captain Tony's in Key West, last week.
3) He drove to the levee but it was dry. When is the last time it rained where you are?
Hee. It's hurricane season here in Miami, and it rains hard every day. Not all day, thankfully - if it did, I wouldn't be able to tolerate the bellyaching of my offspring.
4) When McLean was working on the song, he wrote the lyrics out in long hand. It took him 16 pages of lined notebook paper. Today it's a laptop/smartphone/tablet world, and Sam can't remember the last time she hand-wrote anything longer than a sign on her front door that read, "Bell broken. Plz knock." What about you? What's the last thing you wrote with pen or pencil?
I wrote down the number for the Rheumatology Clinic at the University of Miami Hospital, with which I'm currently on hold, because I believe I have Lupus and need diagnosis and treatment. :\
5) McLean's most recent CD is called "Addicted to Black," in reference to Olivia in The Twelfth Night. Quick! Without looking it up, name another character from Shakespeare.
Othello was the first one that came to mind. Does that say anything about me, or at least my current state of mind?
6) Don was born in New Rochelle, New York, which was named one of The Best Walking Cities in America by the American Podiatric Medical Association (APMA). What about your neighborhood? Is it easily walkable?
Sort of, but it's a small condo/apartment community, part of a larger neighborhood. People drive like nutjobs around here. It's a South Florida thing. Love the climate; hate the whack drivers!
7) In 1971, the year this song was popular, Walt Disney World officially opened. Have you ever been to DisneyLand or Disney World?
I've never been to Disneyland, but I've been to Walt Disney World two or three times. I'm not fiendishly fanatical about Disney, but I do quite like it. It's a good time.
8) Also in 1971, Mattel introduced Malibu Barbie. This doll was a "sun-loving California girl" and had a distinct tan. Have you ever used a tanning bed?
Oh, God, no. Nor will I ever. Hazardous to one's health, that practice. Just don't do it!
9) American Pie is also the name of a 1999 movie. Have you seen it?
Yeah, but I'm not overly impressed with the sophomoric humor. Just not my style.
Thanks for stopping by!