Saturday 9: Crazy Little Thing Called Love
11 July 2015
If you're playing along today, be sure and link up here!
Saturday 9: Crazy Little Thing Called Love (1980)
... because Diana suggested Queen
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
1) In this video, Queen lead singer Freddie Mercury is wearing a leather jacket. Do you have a leather jacket?
Nope, and I never will. Leather is no bueno for us librul, hippie-dippie, tree-hugger types! ;)
2) There's a statue of Freddie in Switzerland. There's another statue of him above the Dominion Theater in London. Tell us about a statue or memorial in your town.
There is this Holocaust Memorial in Miami Beach. I haven't been yet, but the depiction is so profoundly moving to me. I would like to go and pay my respects. Soon.
3) Mercury said this song was inspired by Elvis Presley. What's your favorite Elvis song?
Either "Hound Dog" or "Jailhouse Rock," I think. I'm not sure. Maybe "A Little Less Conversation" or "Suspicious Minds." Okay, I admit, I'm kind of a big Elvis fan. My dad is the biggest fan, and I grew up listening to it.
4) This song was covered by the animated Alvin and the Chipmunks. Do you still watch cartoons?
I have kids, so yeah. Of course, they're tweens and a teen now, so we watch more adulty-type cartoons now, but we all still get a kick out of the more kiddie-type shows and movies plenty-much. I just took them to see the Disney movie Inside Out the other night. Have you seen it?
5) The members of Queen met while attending Ealing Art College in London. Are you still in touch with the friends you had in your late teens and early 20s?
Oh, yes, very much so. Some, not so much, but many are still quite a part of my life - at least virtually, since we're mostly geographically separated!
6) During Queen's heyday in the 1980s, Mercury stayed in shape with tennis and swimming. Are you more accomplished on the court or in the pool?
I have horrible depth perception and I'm naturally quite buoyant (hee), so... I'm just not very athletic, in general, y'all. I do love the water, and badminton is quite fun, but. But.
7) In 1980, when this song was popular, Brooke Shields made a jeans commercial where she said, "Nothing comes between me and my Calvins." It actually only aired for a short time because so many viewers called and complained about it. Have you ever called or emailed to protest something you saw on TV?
I was four years old then, and I don't remember that incident. I'll have to Google why it was so offensive - was it because she was commando? Anyway, yeah, I have, but exactly what about escapes me at the moment. It was probably something about breastfeeding; as a young nursing mama, I was vehemently in favor of it sometimes. Eh. Bygones.
8) 1980 is also the year the Post-It note was introduced. What's the last Post-It you wrote?
I have them, but I rarely use them, because I deem them wasteful. And you know what? They just don't stick where I need them for as long as I need them to do so. Surely it was a reminder about something I forgot as soon as the Post-It drifted off into oblivion.
9) Random question: Do you blush easily?
Oh, my gosh, yes. And I hate it. HATE it. It's a vicious cycle for me of get embarrassed - blush - get more embarrassed about my visible discomfort - blush more furiously - etc. HATE IT.
Thanks for stopping by!