Saturday 9: Tammy
31 December 2016
Hey, welcome back everyone! I hope you all have a grand celebration tonight, and I wish for all of you a happy, healthy, and prosperous 2017.
Saturday 9: Tammy (1957)
In celebration of Debbie Reynolds
Unfamiliar with this week's song? Hear it here.
1. In this song,Tammy sings of being able to hear "the breeze from the bayou." What sounds can you hear as you answer these questions?
I'm listening to the radio streaming on my computer, as I do almost 24/7, and right now the Eurythmics are on, playing "Here Comes The Rain Again." Also, my husband and two pups are nearby. I hear snoring. I'm not sure which one of the three is doing it.
2. This week's song was the theme of a popular movie about a girl who grew up on a houseboat in Mississippi. Looking back on 2016, did you spend much time on or around water?
Yeah, but not as much as I would have liked. We live about 10 minutes from the nearest beach (Miami area here), but we didn't go that often because I'm restricted from being out in the sun too much. My autoimmune disorder(s) are to blame for that. It's one of the reasons I don't mind relocating to Idaho so much.
3. In addition to being an Oscar-nominated actress, this week's artist, Debbie Reynolds, was a big movie fan. She amassed an amazing cache of movie memorabilia. Do you collect anything?
Children. ;) Shot glasses. (Hey, those two pair well, right?) Yarn for knitting and occasionally crocheting. Lots and lots of books. Memories.
4. Though she never won a competitive Oscar for acting, Debbie Reynolds was awarded the Academy's Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award earlier this year for 60 years of charity work. While she supported many causes throughout her life, one she was closest to was The Girl Scouts. She was not only a Scout herself, she was a leader when daughter Carrie was young and a fundraiser throughout her life. Were you ever in Boy or Girl Scouts?
I was a Brownie when I was in elementary school, and my sister (I think) made it to the green-sashed Junior level. Then we stopped going when Mom died. My kids were all in Scouts for several years.
6. The New Year's Eve fireworks celebrations in both Disney World in Florida and Sydney, Australia coordinate pyrotechnics and music. Are you expecting either fireworks or live music on your New Year's Eve celebration?
I don't know... Hubs and I are both feeling kind of yucky, and the kids don't seem too hyped up about spending New Year's Eve in Key Largo as planned. We did the big deal in South Beach last year, but I feel like the universe is telling me that we should just stay home and celebrate quietly this year. We shall see what happens in about 12 hours!
7. According to the National Insurance Bureau, more cars are stolen on New Year's Eve than any other single day. Are you confident your vehicle will be safe and sound this Saturday night?
Yes, but why is that?!!
8. Do you have any New Year's Resolutions for 2017?
Is it a resolution if I just want my health to improve, and find doctors in Idaho that can coordinate with alllll the specialists I'm seeing here, who can help me get better? That's really it. Oh, and I resolve to reduce clutter and live in what I hope becomes a much cleaner, neater, put-together home. This mess is so aggravating!!!
9. Looking back on 2016, what surprised you?
It makes me so ... there isn't a strong enough word in the language for sad, disappointed, angry... (disgruntled, I guess) that Donald Trump was "elected" President. He and all his cabinet appointees are going to be terrible, horrible, no good, very bad for this world. I'm shocked he won.
Have an amazing night, and I'll see you next year! ;)