Saturday 9: A New Day Has Come (2002) Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
Welcome to the first Saturday 9 of 2017!
1) This song is about a new day. Here we are celebrating a new year. What do you hope for in 2017?
I am trying not to have a heavy heart today, the day of the Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood International Airport shootings and with the pending inauguration of gulp <How is this real> gulp #NotMyPresident Trump... but I am afraid. So, in 2017, I hope for my own personal health to improve. I hope for a safe, relatively easy transport to and settling in Idaho. And I hope, above all, that this feeling of unease about my country's future is proven to be for naught.
2) Ms. Dion has said this song was influenced by the events of 9/11, and how a new day dawned after tragedy. Looking back on 2016, did something happen that you're glad to leave behind and move away from?
Mehhhh no, not really in my personal life. Yesssss, the November election was, in my opinion, a tragedy for all Americans.
3) In the video, Celine serenades us from billowy white clouds. Describe the sky where you are as you answer these 9 questions.
Well, it's almost 1 AM here in Miami now, but this is what the sky looked like before the sun set on Friday night
Sophia, my 11yo, took this one outside our apartment, and shortly afterward:
I took this one at the little strip mall we went to down the road. The Florida sunsets will definitely be missed by me!
4) This video was shot in West Palm Beach, FL. When settlers arrived in the late 1870s, the town was called Lake Worth County. OK, your turn. Tell us something about your hometown.
I grew up outside of Syracuse, NY, but Miami was my alma-mater in the mid-90s. So when the two teams play, I enjoy rooting for Miami to my many Syracuse friends, but when we lose, as we did to Orange on Wednesday,... I still count it secretly as a win. It would be either way! ;)
As far as Homestead, where we live now in the bottom of Miami-Dade County, as close as you can get to the Keys without being IN the Keys, well, it was nothing but a blip on the map back when I was in college. Fast-forward 20 years to now? (Holy shit, I graduated COLLEGE 20 years ago this May?!!) It's quite big and well-developed, actually.
5) Celine Dion's native tongue is French. Dites-nous quelque chose en Français.
Though I can't speak or understand spoken (much) French, I can read it fairly well thanks to my study of Spanish and other Romance languages. However, I did go to Google Translate to help me tell you this:
Je déteste la moutarde!!!
6) Celine's mother, Therese, is known in her Quebec neighborhood as a terrific cook. Think about your own domestic talents. Where do you excel? (Food prep, house cleaning, laundry, scheduling, etc.)
For a stay-home mom of 16 years, I'm a pretty crappy housekeeper. Don't get me wrong; I can clean with the best of them! But now that my three are teens and 11-going-on-19, I am trying as much as I can to have my crew take over the task. Retired husband, too, now that I am in pain all the time, hell. But nothing gets done unless Mum orders it done, and even then... I have learned for good enough to be good enough. I wouldn't say I excel in the kitchen, but I'm pretty good at that. (My mum-in-law, who passed away in October 2016, was a home-ec teacher, and I still called upon her for help well into last year!) I guess scheduling is my best and brightest spot. Until my mind completely goes blank, I will still carry the "nucleus" mantle that Hubs has bestowed upon me. What I need, dear 9ers, is a staff to do my bidding! :P
7) Growing up, Celine and her siblings often performed in her family's piano bar. Where did you most recently enjoy an adult beverage?
Right here at home. We still have a bottle and a half - out of two - of bubbly from our New Year's Eve "celebration," as it were. Plus some of Hubs' Irish Cream that he hasn't finished from Christmas, and a wine cooler left from a 6-pack somewhere in between. All at home. We aren't big drinkers anymore. I don't drink out, and then drive home.
8) In 2002, when this song was popular, Kmart was in the news because the company filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection. What department store to you shop at most often?
Hmm. None most often, but maybe Kohl's. If I have to pick one, that's the one, because they are right around the corner (where that above second sunset photo was taken place).
9) Random question: It's time for a midnight snack and you have your choice of one of these three -- a slice of sausage pizza, a bagel with lox and cream cheese, or a piece of carrot cake. Which will you have? And what shall we bring you to drink?
Well, before the New Year, I'd have chosen the carrot cake. But I did choose some, and I ate it, too, and I have put on a little weight in the last few months. So I will abstain from all, unless I can get that lox on the side and not eat it, and only half the bagel, please. Sigh... I guess water to drink. NO! Diet Coke! F**k it!
Thanks for stopping by! Happy New Year! I hope to be around to yours sometime this weekend, but right now I have 650 new emails glaring at me and must go attend to those. Cheers.