Saturday 9: Gidget
21 July 2018
Howdy, folks! Welcome back.
This has been another whirlwind week for medical appointments, including a sojourn for my husband and me, our three teenagers, and our two doggos down to Salt Lake City, Utah, on Monday and back to Boise on Tuesday, with appointments and both days. I don't yet have a solidified diagnosis for what we've termed "Succubus," which has plagued me/us for the past 38 months, but it looks like it will be ME/CFS: Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. The doc there said this would explain why I've been so much sicker and worn out than the Fibromyalgia diagnosis would suggest, although I probably do have some of that, too. Fun, fun. I don't feel any better physically, but it's a huge weight off my shoulders just to have been listened to for once!
The movie Unrest describes precisely what I've been going through; you should watch it if you think you or someone you know might have ME/CFS. It's available all over the interwebs.
♥ Anyway, I'm telling you that because I know some of you have cared from distances far and farther, and I appreciate you so much. ♥
So let's get started! Link up here if you want to play along today!
Saturday 9: Gidget (1965)
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
1) Gidget was a sitcom that ran only one season. Have you ever seen it?
I actually have seen it, though in repeats, but I did not realize it was only one season!
2) Gidget is a high school student who is more interested in surfing and boys than in the books. When you were Gidget's age, was your top priority getting good grades? Or were you more involved in the social side of student life?
Well, obviously I'm much younger here, haha. My mom's writing (how I cherish that!) on the back says I'm six years old in 1982; 1st grade. Anyway, in high school, I was definitely far more interested in my studies, although I had a really good social life, too. I was a smart nerd with lots of friends - and boyfriends. ;)
3) Gidget's father was nearly always unflappable when it came to his daughter's high-spirited shenanigans. Who is the coolest, calmest person you know?
That would be my 13-year-old daughter, Sophie. She definitely doesn't get that from me! She may look more like me, but she's her daddy inside; our daughter Chloë is exactly the opposite. Jack is ... somewhere in the middle.
4) Gidget spends as much time as she can at the beach, hanging out with her best friend Larue. Fair-skinned Larue doesn't share Gidget's passion for surfing and prefers to stay on the beach blanket, wearing a floppy hat that protects her from the sun. Are you a sun worshipper? Or, like Larue, are you careful about your exposure to the sun?
Oh, no way I'm a sun worshipper. I may be a water-baby - I've always grown up in and around the surf - but I have had one horrid sunburn after another in this life. I'll probably have skin cancer some day. Sophie is the only person in our family who tans instead of burns. So weird!
5) Gidget, the quintessential California girl, was created by Freidrich Kohner, an Austrian-born screenwriter. Can you think of another Austrian import?
Isn't Arnold Schwarzenegger from Austria?
6) Howard Greenfield and Jack Keller wrote this week's Gidget theme. They also wrote the 1960 hit song, "Everybody's Somebody's Fool." When is the last time you felt foolish?
Oh, I absolutely do something I feel foolish about every single day. Every. Day.
7) This is the show that introduced Sally Field. She went on to win two Oscars and four Emmy Awards. When you think of Sally, what role comes to mind?
Oh, gosh. There are so many good ones, aren't there? Forest Gump, Steel Magnolias... but it's actually her role as family matriarch Nora Walker in the TV series Brothers & Sisters, which ran from 2006-2011, that I think of first. I don't know why.
8) Today Gidget is a grandmother. Sally reports that her grandchildren especially enjoy "sleepovers at Granny's." Where were you the last time you spent the night away from home?
We stayed at an airbnb home for the first time this past week when we were in Salt Lake. It may have been the last time. Oh, my gosh, it was an EPIC fail. Have y'all ever done it?
9) Random question -- Describe your perfect lazy afternoon.
Relaxing in a hammock near the seashore with a book, a tropical cocktail of some kind, and my family all nearby GETTING ALONG. Now that they're all teenagers, that "getting along" part has become more difficult to manage! Hormones, y'all.
I suppose I should attempt Sunday Stealing now. Y'know, since I missed it because of packing and planning for our trip. Missed y'all!