Hey, pals. I'm exhausted and have to get up in fewer hours than I'm actually gonna wanna sleep, so we'll see how interesting this gets. Link up here if you want to play along today!
Saturday 9: Treat You Better (2016)
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
This song was chosen because October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month. Please share this information about The National Domestic Violence Hotline. Let's spread the word that there's help out there.
1) In this song, a young man advises his neighbor to stop wasting her time with a guy who makes her cry. What is something you regret wasting time on? (It doesn't have to be a romance.)
Seems like I waste far too much time pushing my stack of papers this way and that - drives me nuts!
2) Much of this video takes place in a very sparely-decorated apartment. Because Shawn Mendes and the girl he’s singing to both appear young, it’s easy to assume they are both in their first apartments. Tell us about the first place you ever rented.
When I moved from Miami to St. Petersburg, Florida, after college, my goal was to get into the Tampa/St. Pete-based school, University of South Florida, for my doctorate program (which I did, a year later). I had never been to St. Pete before, and it was about a four-hour drive, so I had to figure out the rental situation from a distance. Back then there was no Facebook, of course, so I found an offline apartment rental guide at the grocery store and set up a two-bedroom apartment for myself. Then I found a roommate-matching service and, through that, found my first apartment mate, Janet. She was cool; I liked her.
3) It's clear he can hear his neighbors' conversations and arguments through the walls. Are your neighbors quiet? Do you consider yourself a quiet neighbor?
I guess we're all right, but we could probably do better with the yard maintenance. Our neighbors who always blocked our driveway with their 50 billion cars and ... stuff... moved out on Monday. Hubs is relieved; I guess I am, too, although I'm also sad because the older boy is my son's BFF.
4) This song received a lot of attention and airplay because it was used in a Southwest Airline commercial. When you last visited an airport, were you traveling yourself or meeting someone?
The last time I flew anywhere was a year and change ago, when Chloë was beckoned to audition for another movie in Los Angeles. The industry is so last-minute with its calls like that, that the airfare is prohibitively expensive. Good thing I have a friend who works for Delta!
5) This week's artist, Shawn Mendes, was a serious skateboarder during his high school years. Sam has never even set foot on a skateboard. How about you?
I have. And I promptly fell right off.
6) Shawn is happy eating cold cereal with milk for every meal -- breakfast, lunch and dinner. He prefers cereal with almonds in it. What about you? Do you have a favorite cereal?
It's a toss-up between Peanut Butter Cap'n Crunch and Frosted Mini Wheats.
7) He says he started eating cereal beyond breakfast because it's convenient, and it helps him avoid "junk food" when he's in a hurry. Do you often order your food "to go?"
We try to avoid it, but it happens occasionally.
8) In 2016, when this song was popular, a German short-haired pointer named CJ won Best in Show at the Westminster Dog Show. Is there a dog who holds a special place in your heart?
♥ Our 5½-pound chihuahua, Paco, and our 17-pound chiweenie, Tapioca, are my bebes. ♥
9) And this week, we're trying a random fill in the blank: I wish someone would create an app that would allow me to take pictures of all my clutter spots and link me to the perfect decluttering, organization solutions. I'd so buy into that.
That was fun! And I made it without taking a nap. Go me! ;)