Hey, guys! I hope you're all well! As for me, I've turned into a sh***y blogger. I keep meaning to blog this and that during the week, but next thing I know, it's Friday night and time to post another Saturday 9. So, thank you Crazy Sam, for keeping me writing at least a little bit on the weekends! without y'all, I'd probably have wrapped. Link up here if you want to join is this weekend.
So let's let her rip...:
Secret Love (1953)
Unfamiliar with this week's song. Hear it here.
Rest in peace, Doris Day (1922-2019)
1) In this song Doris admits she's spoken to the stars, "the way dreamers often do." Do you often daydream?
Oh, yeah. My mind is constantly roaming. It's very hard for me to pay attention to stuff, especially stuff that isn't terribly important to me.
2) What's the last secret you kept? (It doesn't have to be romantic.)
I don't remember - and probably wouldn't share - any recent secrets, but I'm forever agreeing to my kids' requests to "don't say anything, but...," "don't tell Dad, but..." etc.
3) While "Secret Love" was one of Miss Day's best-selling records, and the song won an Oscar, she did not perform it at the Academy Awards Ceremony. She said she was just too nervous to sing it live before an international television audience and an auditorium full of entertainment professionals. When did you last suffer an attack of nerves?
Well, I have social anxiety, so I get an attack of nerves pretty much every time I leave my house, especially if it's to see a new specialist, or if I'm wearing a new outfit I'm not sure looks good.
4) Doris' well-publicized attack of Oscar stage fright was unexpected because she began her career as a band singer, performing before live audiences every night. But she reportedly did develop more phobias over the years, including a fear of flying. Is there anything that scares you now, as an adult, that didn't frighten you as a child?
Yeah. Stalkers. Rapists. Gun violence. Modern Republicans...
5) Doris Day made 39 movies between 1948 and 1968. She said one of her favorite things about filmmaking was working with costume designers on her wardrobe. Do you enjoy shopping for clothes?
Back when I still looked like this, I didn't mind as much. Fast-forward a few years to now, when I've been taking meds that cause weight gain that's impossible to undo, and no. Not so much.
6) Doris confessed that when she had to lose weight for a role, she gave up ice cream. If we checked your freezer, would we find any ice cream?
I think so? I bought several pints of these Magnum flavors last week. The kids have been eating it like there's no tomorrow, which is fine with me. I haven't had any - also fine with me.
7) In 1985 she hosted a cable show called Doris Day's Best Friends. She used the show as a platform to promote pet adoptions and animal welfare. Most of the guests were celebrity friends who reportedly donated their salaries for appearing on the show to Doris' pet foundation. Did you more recently ask a friend for a favor, or perform a favor for a friend?
I think more recently, I asked for the favor.
8) For more than 20 years, Doris co-owned the Cypress Inn in Carmel, CA. The Inn expects to continue on without her, and maintain the pet-friendly policies she introduced. Have you ever traveled with your dog or cat?
Oh, yes - for sure, many times!
9) Random question: What's the last thing you complained about?
Oh, definitely being chronically ill. I'm over it. I wake UP over it. I go to bed over it. And I wake up again... but actually, definitely not over it.
BUT, I am excited today, because my two girls are going to PROM! I can't wait to see them all gussied, up, share pictures, and hear about it later! :D :D :D