Saturday 9: The Addams Family
01 November 2019
Howdy, everybody! Welcome back to another fun edition of Saturday 9, brought to us by the wonderful Crazy Sam. Since Hallowe'en was last night, this week's question center around the theme song to the deliciously creepy show, The Addams Family. Fun!
Link up here if you're playing along today!
The Addams Family (1964)
Unfamiliar with this week's song? Hear it here.
1) One of TV's spookiest families was inspired by a series of New Yorker cartoons. What's the last magazine you flipped through?
When I received the latest issue of Town & Country magazine in the mail the other day, I noticed down there on the bottom right where Laura Dern was quoted as saying, "I will NOT be rich!" But, umm... after I flipped through 20-some pages of Cartier diamonds and the like, I finally found the article. She is wealthy beyond measure compared to most of us, along with talented and famous. I still can't figure out that quote.
2) The Addams' butler, Lurch, was originally conceived as a mute. But then actor Ted Cassidy ad libbed the line, "You rang?" and Lurch had a voice, and a catchphrase. Can you think of another catchphrase connected to a TV character?
I had a crush on Joey Lawrence way back on first his days on Gimme a Break! and then Blossom. He was so hot! (He still is, but I think now he's so careful with his grooming that it turns me off.) Anyway, I haven't thought of this in a while, so it amused me when my first thought was his "Whoa!" catchphrase from Blossom.
3) Now here's the most important question of the week: Do you prefer The Addams Family or The Munsters?
Oh, that's just not fair! But by a slim margin, I think I lean toward The Munsters. I love them both!
4) What's the scariest movie you've ever seen?
I'm not a fan of the horror movie genre, so I don't watch many of them. I was forced to watch many as a kid, and I still have nightmares. Right after my mother died, my dad forced me to sit through Children of the Corn on HBO. I was seven. I was terrified. This entertained him. Bastard.
5) Thursday was Halloween. What goodies did you give the trick or treaters?
Hubs bought Reese's peanut butter cups and Kit-Kats, along with Dum-Dums and fun pencils so we didn't leave out the TPP kiddos.
6) Are you attending/have you attended any Halloween parties this year?
No, not this year. Hardly ever, really.
7) Did you carve a jack o'lantern this year?
Oh, my God! With everything we had going on last month, I completely forgot!
8) Do you eat candy corn all year around ... only at Halloween ... or never?
N. E. V. E. R.
9) In 1964, when The Addams Family premiered, one of the most popular store-bought Halloween costumes was Bambi. It came with a plastic mask held on by a thin elastic band. Tell us about a memorable Halloween costume from your childhood.
I was a dancer until I was 15, so a lot of times when Halloween rolled around, if I hadn't come up with a costume yet I just wore something from the last recital!
I hope y'all had a spookily fun night on Halloween. Now, onward - happy November! We've already had snow here in Idaho, as of one week ago. (And at least once more since. Have you?!)
I am not ready.