Saturday 9: Two Black Cadillacs
26 November 2022
Welcome, welcome one and all (or is it both?). I've been trying to log in to Typepad for HOURS, but something has stopped that connection. Here I am, finally, at 1513 on Saturday. What a relief.
I don't like much in the way of Country music, but I do like Ms. Underwood, so I'm glad to see this one. And I already knew this song!
Link up here if you're playing along this weekend. Let's go:
Saturday 9: Two Black Cadillacs (2011)
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
1) This week's song is about two women who share a very dark secret. Are you good at keeping secrets?
Not usually. I have zero filter, pretty much.
2) Carrie Underwood's favorite author is Stephen King. In fact, she credits King's Christine as an inspiration for this song. Have you read much Stephen King, or seen movies based on his books?
Some. I'd say I'm a fan, but not, like, a mega-fan.
3) Carrie first came to America's attention when she won on American Idol. Prior to competing on that show, she'd never been on an airplane. Crazy Sam takes at least one round-trip flight every year and pays using the miles she accumulated from credit card purchases throughout the year. Do you try to earn miles, points, or cash back when you make purchases?
Oh, yes. I'm always trying to play the game and earn points here to spend there.
4) Black is this week's signature color because November 25 was Black Friday, when retailers historically have slashed their prices and the holiday shopping season begins. Have you begun your gift shopping?
Yes. I'm welllll into my gift shopping - and wrapping!
5) Black Friday began as a local event initiated by store owners in Philadelphia back in the early 1960s. When you think of Philadelphia, what comes to mind?
Well nowadays, I think of my trip there with Chloë for her 21st birthday, just this past September. Fun times!
6) Black Friday always comes after Thanksgiving, a day of feasting. What was the best dish at your holiday table this year?
I think it was the pies (we had 5). For the first time in years, I was able to come downstairs and help guide the children to make my pie recipes, if I couldn't do it myself. They were wonderful and were devoured quickly. Good job, kids!
7) Thanksgiving is also a big day for watching football. Did you watch any games?
8) What are you thankful for this year?
Oh, I'm soooo thankful for being able to come downstairs, help make those pies, and just generally be with my family for the whole day of Thanksgiving. It was a treasure. And so much more than that, but it would be a very long list. I keep that list in my planner.
9) Random question: You're in a public restroom and have a choice between paper towels and a hot air hand dryer. Which do you choose?
I'd choose the hot air. Why would I use natural resources I don't need to use when there is an alternative right there? Go tree-free. Go more sustainable (because paper just isn't, really). Yes, there is the source of the electricity, but that's more negligible than the processes of getting the paper towel to that bathroom, and using it. No, for me, it's the hot air hand dryer. Good question, Sam.
Now I'm listening to The National on NPR Tiny Desk Concerts - those are the best; I'm obsessed - which the Carrie Underwood tune moved to after the one by Andrew Bird on YouTube. Give them a listen, if you haven't already!
Happy holiday season, y'all!