Heyyyy, y'all! Happy Arbor Day! (Friday) Everyone good? I hope so.
Here we are in Spring, Daylight Savings Time, sliding into May... I'm eating it up. I can take an afternoon nap and still have some sunlight when I wake up! This happens often, as my fatigue seems to have increased a thousand-fold lately.
I had labs drawn the other day, and my blood glucose came back at a critically low 37. I know I'm hypoglycemic, but...! The rheumatologist who ordered the labs called me herself to check on me and tell me to go to the ER this weekend to get my sugar checked if I felt "off" in any way. But I do check my sugar at home, which was why I was shocked at that result. That was a long lead-in to say, I'm seriously craving a brownie, and I'm wondering (and hoping) if Noah and Hubs will bring me one while they're out and about!
Welp, I'm feeling sleepy, speaking of fatigue. Better get started.
Saturday 9: Promises, Promises (1983)Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
1) In this week's song, Naked Eyes lead singer Pete Byrne admits he believed his girl's promises, right from the start, but now he knows he should have been more careful with his heart. Do you consider yourself more trusting or skeptical?
I am definitely far too trusting. No doubt about it.
2) DoHe looks back on when he and his girl laughed like kids. When did you recently literally laugh out loud (as opposed to keystroking LOL)?
This afternoon, when we were playing with our pups, including this chunky girl, here. She's bashful because I'm pointing out her chubbulousness to strangers on the internet. No really, this girl likes BED, and if she thinks you're going to let her in under the covers or even throw a blanket over her to snuggle with, she bounds over and hunkers in in no time, flat! Both doggos are pretty silly.
3) He accuses her of not being able to finish what she starts. How about you? Do you finish what you start, or can you think of projects that you're unlikely to ever complete?
I definitely have more startitis than I do finishitis, but I do finish my projects sometimes! I wish I could show you all my embarrassing screen full of unfinished knitting (and a few crochet) projects on Ravelry.com. Many of my projects are complete! But I get so excited about new ones and then get into them and think, "Oh. Not so fun as it looked. What's next?"
4) Naked Eyes was a British New Wave band who had four Top 40 singles, including "Promises, Promises." They never toured 40 years ago because it was difficult to recreate their synthesizer-driven sound onstage. Is there a band or singer you would have liked to have seen perform live, but never did?
Plenty! I'll throw out three men and three women, in random order, from whatever era my brain tosses out:
Men: Elton John, Billy Joel, & (the band) Queen
Women: Madonna, Cyndi Lauper, Kelly Clarkson
5) While "Promises, Promises" is about an untrustworthy lover, Peter Byrne says he and bandmate/cowriter Rob Fisher worked well together because they knew they could trust one another professionally. By sharing honest assessments of creative ideas, they knew Naked Eyes would never put out "rubbish." If you want an honest opinion on something important, where do you turn?
It depends on what the nature of the "something" is. If it's of a medical nature, I might chat up my bestie, Lisa. If it's maybe musical in nature, or other topics on which she's a pro, I'll try to find my other bestie, Shana. Plenty of things can be solved with the help of Hubs and/or my oldest (Chloë) and/or my youngest (Noah). And so on. I just realized I'm so fortunate to have so many people to trust.
6) Madonna was a Naked Eyes fan. Are you a Madonna fan?
Definitely, but moreso the old-school stuff. I don't know a super lot of her post-y2k material, I think.
7) In 1983, when this song was on the radio, the Lotus 1-2-3 program made it easier for PC users to build spreadsheets. Are you answering these questions on a PC or a Mac? Laptop or desktop? Android or iPhone?
PC. Laptop (a 3-year-old ASUS VivoBook, which I'm about to replace. Like, today). Android phone.
8) Also in 1983, America West Airlines took off for the first time, taking passengers from Las Vegas to Phoenix. Where did you go on your first flight? What about your most recent flight?
My first flight was in about 1981 or so; I would've been 5 years old. I flew as an unaccompanied minor home from my grandparents' house because my older sister refused to do it. I loved it! I felt so big and bad, haha! ...My most recent flight was with the the same two aforementioned kids of mine, Chloë and Noah. We flew in mid-August 2020 from Boise, Idaho, to Baltimore, Maryland, to find ourselves a new home.
9) Random question -- Finish this statement: If I knew then what I know now, I would have ______________.
taken more walks, more bicycle rides, had more picnics with Rob, with the kids when they were little, with my friends; stood up for myself more to make more wrongs right not just for me but for others, also being wronged, also in hiding, perhaps; smelled all the citrus possible before I stopped being able to; and, made more calls to, and answered more from, my loved ones instead of being too phobic to answer. Life is too short.
Thanks, Samantha. Those were some great questions.